Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Not Your Usual Phone Call

Yes, I did change the title to Misc Ramblings........

When the phone rings at Etcetera after hours it is usually "Are you all open?" or a phone survey.  Imagine my surprise when the phone rang Monday night.  "Etcetera Coffeehouse.....this is Allan Rhodes." Then,  "Hi, this is Jason calling for the Huffington Post......"

Really, the Huffington Post?  The interview was this afternoon. The subject was Senator Mitch McConnell and the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant.  I thought I would bore you with a bit of the conversation with Jason.

Basically, I shared that as the second most powerful person in the Senate, I was hopeful that McConnell could help the progress to get DOE approval for GE/Hitachi and/or do a full cleanup as in Oak Ridge.  I expressed the fear that as McConnell's number one goal was to defeat Mr. Obama this probably did not endear him to the Administration.  Also, as our Senator I feel his real mission is to serve his electorate.  Isn't there that understanding that I vote for you, though maybe I don't want to, so when something really bad happens you will have my back?  Anyway, you get the idea of the thing.

I don't think I was mean-spirited toward our Senator, but there are moments when I wonder, does he have our backs?   Or is life on the national stage just really sweet?

It has been an afternoon.

Allan

3 comments:

  1. I don't think our fair Senator gives one flying farthing about his constituents, unless, of course, they give him money. It's the big money that speaks to him and no one else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sen. McConnell is the 'earmark king'..instead of getting the earmark for AmGen it wouldv'e been nice if he'd have gotten that earmark for PGDP first of year during debt limit debate and 'gov't shutdown' negotiations. The plant closure has been known fact for some 15-yrs. long before Obama became President. Bush W. even cut D&D funding 'last hour' before he left office. Instead of erecting momuments to himself all across the state, Sen. McConnell could've done more to get appropriations for clean up at PGDP.

    ReplyDelete