Sunday, March 20, 2016

Mea Culpa….




I think I have let myself down.  I think I have let you down.  I’m talking about this whole city hall project.  As you know RATIO, the architectural firm, will have a public presentation Monday at the City Hall.  That’s why I’m blogging.  I expect a lot out of me, and right now I feel like my work, representing you, on city hall has been, well, let’s just say I’m not very happy with myself.

As you remember, one of my earlier blogs was about city hall dying.  Little did I know about the true state of structural disrepair.  We knew we had a problem when, by the late spring of 2014, the fourth engineering study was complete.  The first study was in 1978, a scant 14 years after the dedication of City Hall, and it said that the roof structure was bending down.  The engineers confirmed that and went on to say that doing nothing was probably not a long strategy worth pursuing. 

Having said all this, here is where I failed as your commissioner. Simply put, I got focused on the project of renovation or new build with all the intendant controversy, without really thinking ahead on the “how do we pay for this.”  And that‘s what really got to me.  I always think about the money.  Well, until this time.  Regardless of what the news media may opine, we cannot rebuild or renovate a complete City Hall, in my view, without a stable, long term funding source of unencumbered money.

I continued to fail you by not thinking clearly about a third alternative to new build or renovate City Hall, a step-by-step, pay as you go heavy repair of the existing structure.  Hopefully, this will be apparent by isolating those costs within the renovate model of City Hall provided by Ratio Architects.

Finally, I never really had a discussion with the other commissioners or the mayor about the road we were taking.  Of course, they didn’t engage me either.  So much for my acting in isolation and ignoring the benefits of collective wisdom.

Well, that’s about it.  As I said, I’m not very happy with me.  I think I could have been a better commissioner.  I’m sorry to have let you down.

Allan



8 comments:

  1. It indeed VERY VERY rare that we have an elected official with the courage to acknowledge a mistake and to admit that "I let you down." Commissioner Rhodes is a sure antidote to level of politics as it is practiced today with bombast, division, racism, and appeal not to the "better angels of our nature", but to our greatest fears and superstitions. PLEASE vote to participate in turning around our political system so that we have government at all levels city, state, and nation that is truly of all of the people.

    With gratitude for your service, Commissioner Rhodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't u think it's a bit much far over eleven thousand far security cameras.also why does paducah need radiation detectors,were hardly new York city.also I thought this fireboat deal had come up earlier.what's the deal with cape,are we getting a fair deal.

      Delete
  2. You didn't let anyone down.I've been to many city hall meetings.yours is a lonely voice of good sense.the others have no clue what's going on.they need to look at other cities.hopkinsville built a nice city hall far 8.5 million.18.5 million far a new city hall that's ridiculous.what happened to that group lat year that said city hall could be fixed far three to four million.why do u all spend ,1.6 million on out of town architects.I'm sure people has several good firms.,so 18.5 million then a bunch to tear down the 911 building then millions to build a new one.then u still have the city hall to tear down if ur not gonna use it?this mess happened cause the city spent no money maintaining it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owensboro is getting a1.2_million building at there airport to train pilots.it will pay 24 an hour and employee 20.,why can't paducah ever land anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the whole report.there are fallacies,far one it says the city commission usually full,that's bull,I've been to many commission meetings only one full was the paducah power meeting.another was having a nicer room far the mayor to meet prospects,well did I not read last year how the paducah chamber of commerce office was built so nice to attract clients.it is very nice,so many made up facts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really a beautiful blog.It is very astonishing and marvelous design.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete